Is Close to Me extended 12" **STILL** not available on CD?

Started by isamu, December 14, 2008, 11:43:03

Previous topic - Next topic

isamu

Am I correct in assuming the original 12" extended version of Close to Me is STILL not available on CD?

Why didn't Robert put this somewhere on either Mixed Up or Join the Dots?

Ditto with the 12" Extended version of WCIBY???

lostflower4

Quote from: isamu on December 14, 2008, 11:43:03Ditto with the 12" Extended version of WCIBY???

This is the first track on the Why Can't I Be You? CD single...

Not sure about Close to Me extended. I guess the only existing digital copies of that are from vinyl transfers?

nausearockpig

I've got a copy of Close To Me on VCD format.. not sure if it has the remix on it though.

japanesebaby

Quote from: isamu on December 14, 2008, 11:43:03
Am I correct in assuming the original 12" extended version of Close to Me is STILL not available on CD?

i suppose you mean the version called "closer mix"(?).

"closer mix" was released back in 1991 both on 12" vinyl and on the second cd single (the limited edition version, 10 000 numbered copies with a poster, FICDR 36).
the common cd single has "closest mix".
so both remixes ("closer/closest") are available on cd. i suppose the second cd single is just a bit harder to come by these days.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

isamu

Thanks for the replies guys :)

The version I am referring to is not a remix. It's neither the "Closer" or "Closest" mix. It's simply a 12" extended version of the original song, with longer parts involving the sax and trumpet parts. Very rare and I believe is only available on vinyl or bootleg CD.

The difference the longer parts of the song involving the horns makes to the original album version is amazing. It literally transforms the song from simply average to phenomenal IMHO.

japanesebaby

Quote from: isamu on December 15, 2008, 08:02:44
The version I am referring to is not a remix. It's neither the "Closer" or "Closest" mix. It's simply a 12" extended version of the original song,  average to phenomenal IMHO.

are you sure you are not talking about some unofficial third-party remix then? :?:
i think there is no extended version that was released officially on 12" vinyl single. the only version originally included on 12" was the abovementioned "closer mix".

**edit: ok i see you mean the original '86 version. i somehow misunderstood you were talking about the '91 re-release.

Matti

Quote from: nausearockpig on December 14, 2008, 22:26:23
I've got a copy of Close To Me on VCD format.. not sure if it has the remix on it though.

Yes it has. The first audio track on this one is Close To Me (12" Mix). And I'm pretty sure this video CD is an official release.
and we close our eyes to sleep
to dream a boy and girl
who dream the world is nothing but a dream

lostflower4

Quote from: japanesebaby on December 14, 2008, 23:00:36
Quote from: isamu on December 14, 2008, 11:43:03

i suppose you mean the version called "closer mix"(?).

"closer mix" was released back in 1991 both on 12" vinyl and on the second cd single (the limited edition version, 10 000 numbered copies with a poster, FICDR 36).
the common cd single has "closest mix".
so both remixes ("closer/closest") are available on cd. i suppose the second cd single is just a bit harder to come by these days.

I have to say that I've always been confused by all the mixes of this song. I'll admit I used to grab some of the more obscure B-sides/remixes off of P2P networks many years ago, and there were quite a few different versions of this song — some of which were unofficial "DJ mixes".

Furthermore, some people misspelled Closer/Closest as "Closet", and for a long time I actually believed there was a third and separate Closet Mix.  :lol:  After all, it kinda makes sense if you think about the videos...

Anyway, I do have a version simply called "Extended Mix", which is certainly longer and different than the Closer/Closest mixes.

The time of this version is 6:32, and it starts with cymbals and clapping, then bass, followed by the ad-lib vocals and all that crazy horn stuff.

Unless some random person had access to the original multitracks, I don't think this could be an unofficial mix!

Quality is quite nice, too. Sounds like it came from a CD, so again I'm confused.  :smth017

japanesebaby

Quote from: lostflower4 on December 15, 2008, 10:20:21
Furthermore, some people misspelled Closer/Closest as "Closet", and for a long time I actually believed there was a third and separate Closet Mix.

they could have misspelled or just been very careful with their copy/pasting, as some (spanish) pressings actually did have misprinted labels that said "closet".
at least that's what it says in butler's 'cure on record' books.

After all, it kinda makes sense if you think about the videos...

i always thought the same, actually...  :lol:

Anyway, I do have a version simply called "Extended Mix", which is certainly longer and different than the Closer/Closest mixes.

The time of this version is 6:32, and it starts with cymbals and clapping, then bass, followed by the ad-lib vocals and all that crazy horn stuff.

Unless some random person had access to the original multitracks, I don't think this could be an unofficial mix!

i don't think it's an unofficial mix, it's just the original extended version from the original 12" from 1986. and this is indeed not officially available on CD i think. if it's found on some bootleg CD then it must be some vinyl transfer.

so don't be confused. ;) the confusion was all my fault as i somehow thought the whole thing was about the 1991 re-relases only.

Matti

to dream a boy and girl

japanesebaby

Quote from: Matti on December 15, 2008, 11:23:49
So this is a pirate pressing?

no it's not, it's an official release. but doesn't these cd video discs actually require some sort of special player? i don't own any of these cdv discs but i've been under impression that one cannot play it with a regular cd player.
someone correct me if im wrong.

Matti

Quote from: japanesebaby on December 15, 2008, 11:30:44
i don't own any of these cdv discs but i've been under impression that one cannot play it with a regular cd player.

It plays perfectly in my stand alone Player - I guess these video CDs are/were some kind of hybrid medium (I've actually never watched this as I don't have a laserdisc player...)
to dream a boy and girl

lostflower4

Quote from: japanesebaby on December 15, 2008, 11:30:44
Quote from: Matti on December 15, 2008, 11:23:49So this is a pirate pressing?

no it's not, it's an official release. but doesn't these cd video discs actually require some sort of special player? i don't own any of these cdv discs but i've been under impression that one cannot play it with a regular cd player.

The audio portion of CDV (not to be confused with VCD) discs can be played just like normal CDs on any player.

japanesebaby

ok thanks for clarifying that. like said, i never had any of these cdv releases so i couldn't try it myself.