Worth a purchase?

Started by egon_beeblebrox, March 28, 2006, 04:21:56

Previous topic - Next topic

egon_beeblebrox

Are the "Pictures of You" and "Lullaby" singles worth purchasing from Amazon.com worth buying? I kind of want them, for the "Lullaby" remix, and the live B-sides...

Thoughts?

I'm also buying Paris and the "End of the World" single right now...
"A Hand in my Mouth. A Life Spills into the Flowers."

splitmilk34

I'd say yes, but that's only because I like to collect that sort of stuff.  "The End of the World" single you're buying is EXCELLENT.  The track "This Morning" that is part of that single is one of the best songs the Cure have done in the last 15 years.
"... sleeping less every night"

lostflower4

I'd pick up the Disintegration singles just because they're still around. I did the same thing last year. :D

The live versions on those are the same as what appears on "Entreat", and of course you should get that too if you don't have it already!

nausearockpig

buy buy buy buy!!!!
unless of course doing so causes you to not be able to eat!!

egon_beeblebrox

I got them all, and, wow, those live tracks on "Lullaby" and "Pictures of You" are amazing! And why isn't "This Morning" on The Cure instead of any of the random pop numbers they included?

One thing though, "Last Dance," on the "Pictures of You" disc has about a two-second skip at around 2:35 into it. Is that the case with all of them, or should I try to exchange it?

splitmilk34

I'm glad you liked "This Morning"... it's fantastic!
"... sleeping less every night"

seventeen_seconds

buy the living hell out of them...........

Curetastraphy

Quote from: egon_beeblebroxOne thing though, "Last Dance," on the "Pictures of You" disc has about a two-second skip at around 2:35 into it. Is that the case with all of them, or should I try to exchange it?

My version is like that two. I thought I should've returned it back, but I guess every version is like that

egon_beeblebrox

Quote from: Curetastraphy
Quote from: egon_beeblebroxOne thing though, "Last Dance," on the "Pictures of You" disc has about a two-second skip at around 2:35 into it. Is that the case with all of them, or should I try to exchange it?

My version is like that two. I thought I should've returned it back, but I guess every version is like that

Good to know. Too bad. Kinda messes up the flow of the song. Still, it's such a great performance of it, it makes up for the skip.

lostflower4

That's probably just the way it is then. I know that one of the U.S. "Boys Don't Cry" CD pressings has a skip during Accuracy. I thought it was an isolated incident, but then I noticed that any mp3's I downloaded sourced from that CD also had the same problem.

The solution here is real simple: BUY ENTREAT! 8)

It has those same four songs plus four more, and there are no skips! It's out of print now, so you won't find it on Amazon.com. eBay could be a good starting point:

http://search.ebay.com/cure-entreat_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

:-)

japanesebaby

Quote from: Curetastraphy

interesting to hear this. i am assuming you are talking about the US pressing (9 66639-2, elektra, comes with a standard jewel case). i just checked this and neither of the copies that i have, my german copy of the european pressing (FICDA 34/873 909-2 fiction, slim jewel case) or even the US pressing that i have which comes as a part of the 'integration' singles box set has any such skip during 'last dance'.

so maybe just the individually sold copies of the US pressing have this flaw? or maybe only even a part of them?

in any case, it's a good advice to go and get ENTREAT. and let's hope they would still put out the whole wembley show(s  :wink: ) officially someday. probably not, but i guess there's nothing bad in wishing so....

marika
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

bluewater

My US/ Elektra copy doesn?t have skip. Those are pretty rare singles
in europe. Entreat is nowhere to be found in stores (although here in finland situation is pretty bad regarding cure stuff anyway). Lullabie is very nice and pictures of you equally great cd-single...
Btw, the B sides of The Cure Cd-s are great, definitely worth buying, Your god is fear being one of my fav cure b-sides.
Fascination street cd-single was the only disintegration-era disappointment to me, sold it fast after buying. Nothing more than a remix and two weird b sides to me (out of mind and babble).

As all b-sides up to 2001 are found on Join the dots i think you can
do better with purchasing Entreat and Paris. Those live discs are the best of cure- thing. Even if you have a friend who doesn?t know cure by playing those live discs you?re a winner. I hope cure released expanded versions of those special discs. (At night in Paris disc is a cure career highlight to me).
Life's too short to listen to lossy music

japanesebaby

Quote from: bluewaterMy US/ Elektra copy doesn?t have skip. Those are pretty rare singles
in europe. Entreat is nowhere to be found in stores (although here in finland situation is pretty bad regarding cure stuff anyway). Lullabie is very nice and pictures of you equally great cd-single...
Btw, the B sides of The Cure Cd-s are great, definitely worth buying, Your god is fear being one of my fav cure b-sides.
Fascination street cd-single was the only disintegration-era disappointment to me, sold it fast after buying. Nothing more than a remix and two weird b sides to me (out of mind and babble).

about the limited availability of the US singles in europe: i think i've recently observed something of almost opposite to this. whereas the original european CD single pressings can be a bit difficult to come buy (at least outside auction sites), there are several music stores that are currently selling the US pressings of the disintegration era singles as brandnew import items. it looks like they are selling too since many stores do keep these singles on their shelves, not just as something you can only order via them, and i've noticed that this has been going on for a few years already.
(but i completely agree on the rather poor situation regarding the availability of any really interesting cure stuff in finland...  :(  (terveisi? sinne oulun suuntaan muuten ;-)  )

the single version of 'fascination street' was only designed as a US replacement for 'lullaby' because since elektra wanted to release that one first. that's why the B-sides are exactly the same on those two singles.
by the way, 'out of mind' has always been one of my real favorites.

marika
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

bluewater

Quote from: japanesebaby
about the limited availability of the US singles in europe: i think i've recently observed something of almost opposite to this. whereas the original european CD single pressings can be a bit difficult to come buy (at least outside auction sites), there are several music stores that are currently selling the US pressings of the disintegration era singles as brandnew import items. it looks like they are selling too since many stores do keep these singles on their shelves, not just as something you can only order via them, and i've noticed that this has been going on for a few years already.
(but i completely agree on the rather poor situation regarding the availability of any really interesting cure stuff in finland...  :(  (terveisi? sinne oulun suuntaan muuten ;-)  )

marika

in finnish: paljon terveisi? helsinkiin ja muille suomen cure faneille. i just sold a musta paraati cd to someone in helsinki named marika a few months ago.. i buy and i sell a lot of things to keep my record collection
from growing above a 400 cds, even cure cd-s.

-bluesman
Life's too short to listen to lossy music