What One Question Would You Ask Robert If Given The Chance?

Started by nausearockpig, December 29, 2005, 03:04:48

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

Quote from: Cold Colours on June 27, 2008, 05:18:31
Quote from: japanesebaby on June 26, 2008, 16:15:08me too. i remember i was a bit disappointed with the song music wise but lyrically i felt very much "at home" with it from the beginning, if that means anything to anyone.

That's too bad.  I think "Jupiter Crash" is a gorgeous song, both musically and lyrically.  It's an appealing romantic fantasy for a space fan like me.  Scanning the celestial sights on a hilltop above the sea with a distracting female significant other by your side.  No chance that Smith's songwriting  could fail me with subject matter like that :D

i didn't mean it's a bad song. but even though i do care about the lyrics a great deal, i'm still primarily more music-oriented with my listening: meaning that first of all a song has to be good on purely musical grounds in order to be a really great song. in the case of 'jupiter crash'... i feel that if i had found the lyrics to be less thrilling/less exceptional, i wouldn't have considered it such an exceptional song. yet the lyrics kind of boost it up, they make it what it is.
i don't know if i manage to explain myself... what i am trying to say is that however great the lyrics were, i always have a feeling that there's something missing there whenever i notice that the music vs. lyrics balance flips too much that way round, in favor of the lyrics. if i notice that the music alone doesn't really affect me once the lyrics are removed, i am just not entirely.. let's say, captivated.

and that's not the same as to say that 'jupiter crash' is a bad song. just not one of the really balanced, great cure songs for me.
just my impression of course. :)

ps. i guess one could look that from another point of view and say that it's dangerous to write too good lyrics - because they then call for exceptionally good music too! so beware...
yet luckily, the cure manages to pull this a lot of times of course. and that's one of the things that set them ahead of most other groups of course. the songs have both great musical and great lyrical depth, even when observed independently from each other.

ps2. since this is starting to veer off from the original topic i'm getting prepared to split this topic, if necessary - why not make a thread of their own for 'jupiter' and other "space songs"? ;)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Cold Colours

Quote from: japanesebaby on June 28, 2008, 22:41:56i didn't mean it's a bad song. but even though i do care about the lyrics a great deal, i'm still primarily more music-oriented with my listening: meaning that first of all a song has to be good on purely musical grounds in order to be a really great song. in the case of 'jupiter crash'... i feel that if i had found the lyrics to be less thrilling/less exceptional, i wouldn't have considered it such an exceptional song...and that's not the same as to say that 'jupiter crash' is a bad song. just not one of the really balanced, great cure songs for me.

Again, I'll have to disagree with that  :P.  I think "Jupiter Crash" is both captivating AND evocative.  It's perfect the way it is.  A song that I hum and sing passages of to myself for hours afterwards is a great song in my book, jbabe  ;).  I think it excels at evoking a specific mood.  The title is a sly sort of bait-and-switch.  Not only does it have meaning for the event that the song's protagonist is observing, it also could be interpreted as referring to the crushing blow to the guy's ego as it dawns on him that his dear lover has f*ck all interest in something so special to him.  Nothing can be more cutting and devastating to a dude than to try to share something meaningful and personally important with a woman you care about, only to have her shrug and go "Meh.  Is that all there is?   What's the big deal?"  I'm sure it cuts both ways and that the ladies feel the same about certain things.  I think the song captures that melancholic mood-breaking feeling quite capably.

Quote from: japanesebaby on June 28, 2008, 22:41:56ps2. since this is starting to veer off from the original topic i'm getting prepared to split this topic, if necessary - why not make a thread of their own for 'jupiter' and other "space songs"? ;)

Do what you feel you have to do.  Not sure what the harm is in digressing a little here since this thread doesn't appear to be too much of a hot-button topic to begin with ;).  Keeps the conversation alive awhile longer at least.  Unstarch the collars a little and let things flow more freely :).  Let people have fun, within reason, of course.  You'll know when the time is right for moderating a given thread topic.
[i]Follow me to where the real fun is[/i]

mahood

Quote from: Cold Colours on June 29, 2008, 00:30:47
Quote from: japanesebaby on June 28, 2008, 22:41:56ps2. since this is starting to veer off from the original topic i'm getting prepared to split this topic, if necessary - why not make a thread of their own for 'jupiter' and other "space songs"? ;)
Do what you feel you have to do.  Not sure what the harm is in digressing a little here since this thread doesn't appear to be too much of a hot-button topic to begin with ;).  Keeps the conversation alive awhile longer at least.  Unstarch the collars a little and let things flow more freely :).  Let people have fun, within reason, of course.  You'll know when the time is right for moderating a given thread topic.

and there's actually another digressing option in the discussion you started : great lyrics versus poor music & vice versa.
or when the combination of both doesn't work (RS said that about snow in summer, a song i really like btw).
& i happen to like jupiter crash both lyrically & musically, too.
strangely, as much as i dislike wendy time on wish, i love the 5 imaginary boys & demo versions, but maybe the lyrics don't fit on these (well, they do, on a strictly melodic point of view). here i can understand why they would change the music so drastically, but then it's just a crappy song, where there was a great one.
signs, flowers, weapons and balloons

othervoices

my wife asked RS to play the hanging garden at Newcastle in 1992 on the wish tour warm up dates (said he'd try the figurehead instead)... it took us until RCMH 2008 to eventually hear HG live!... and was worth it, even with a bit of ad-lib (screwup?) at the end!

japanesebaby

Quote from: mahood on June 29, 2008, 01:52:33
and there's actually another digressing option in the discussion you started : great lyrics versus poor music & vice versa.

--> http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,5328.0.html

mint car

[i]...sleep sweet child the moon will change your mind...[/i]

mikeang

I would ask if he could do it all over again, would he change anything.

revolt

Robert, can you give us 3 good reasons for buying the new Cure album?

OK, I'm just kidding...  :-D

thecupcakegeisha

Quote from: revolt on July 30, 2008, 18:12:09
Robert, can you give us 3 good reasons for buying the new Cure album?

OK, I'm just kidding...  :-D

*laughs & ducks*

Lisa.Lovecat

i would ask "hey, would you have a drink with me? i spend you one!"  :-D
I could kill you without trying, that's accuracy :-D

mint car

hey Robert give me one of your guitar picks?  :-D (with signature)
[i]...sleep sweet child the moon will change your mind...[/i]

~*CherryRed*~

Quote from: KingOfSomeIsland on February 15, 2007, 22:05:05
What is All Cats Are Grey about?

Hahahaha... yeah good question! And then you'd have to move on to all those other songs that really have no clear/particular meaning!

But then I've always wanted to know why Mr and Mrs Smith never had children! That would be my question. But I think to ask something like that may be a tad to personal, and really none of my business!
"prone to flights of whimsy"

~*CherryRed*~

For all the Aussies in the audience, what about doing a Chaser's 10 Questions on Mr Smith hey??? LOL... that I would love to see!

Here is a link to one they did with Sophia Loren for all those non-Aussies in the audience! LOL LOL LOL, I love this show! :-D

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=oVZRPjGSjpI

japanesebaby

Quote from: ~*CherryRed*~ on August 30, 2008, 13:53:58
But then I've always wanted to know why Mr and Mrs Smith never had children! That would be my question.

heh that might be one of the few things i certainly wouldn't ask. and not because it was too personal but because i find that such a reasonable decision anyway, something that doesn't need explaining.
i guess i'd rather ask "why?" all those people who do have/do want to have children.  :smth017 ;)

~*CherryRed*~

Quote from: japanesebaby on August 30, 2008, 14:28:15
Quote from: ~*CherryRed*~ on August 30, 2008, 13:53:58
But then I've always wanted to know why Mr and Mrs Smith never had children! That would be my question.

heh that might be one of the few things i certainly wouldn't ask. and not because it was too personal but because i find that such a reasonable decision anyway, something that doesn't need explaining.
i guess i'd rather ask "why?" all those people who do have/do want to have children.  :smth017 ;)

hehehe, too true, too true! (btw, I'm a fur family, ie: pets rather than kids!!!)